Long-distance relocations in the country or abroad take up a lot of time and energy. For these reasons, you might need to downsize before a long-distance move in order to start fresh. Be ready to take some important steps and don’t hesitate to ask for help. At ReloSmart Movers Hong Kong, you’re always at the right address.
Consider the type of long-distance move before downsizing
Certainly, moving can be exhausting and stressful, however, not every move is the same. Moving across the country doesn’t require as much organization and effort as an international move. For example, moving to Australia from Hong Kong is often trickier and lasts longer.
Make sure you have chosen the right moving company
International, long-distance moves have to be taken seriously. You want to land in your new home without worry about the organization and safety of your stuff. Do your research on international movers Hong Kong residents have a great experience with.
Declutter at least a week before the move
Make a list of everything you intend to keep on a paper or whiteboard. After that, take the size of your new place into consideration, and further reduce the number of things on the list. Not every piece of furniture will fit into your new home, and certainly, not every item will find its place. You need a fresh start, especially when moving out of Hong Kong, therefore everything that collects dust should be given, sold, or even thrown.
There are various ways to properly declutter before you finally pack:
- Give away – There are probably friends or family members who could use some of your old furniture or clothes. Also, you may find out about the local charities and donate.
- Sell online – Use platforms such as Alibaba.com to put your furniture, clothes, and other kept items for sale.
- Throw away – Whatever is old, outdated, and doesn’t have any value, should go straight to garbage. However, consider the materials your items are made of. Glass, plastic, paper, fabrics, as well as parts of electronic devices, can be recycled.
Consider temporary storage to easily downsize before a long-distance move
Storage can come in handy if you are not sure what to do with your items. In case you opt for it, pay attention to the following criteria:
- Must have a good reputation.
- Has to be squeaky clean and sanitized.
- Has to be temperature controlled.
- The company that rents storage should be known for reliability.
Think about whether your pet(s) should go with you
When you downsize before a long-distance move, your pet needs to be taken care of. In case you can’t bring your animal friend, it would be best to look for another home for them. Possibly with friends, family members, neighbors. On the other hand, if you decide to keep your pet, keep in mind that moving with pets will need extra effort. Prepare all documents you need and check the prices of transportation in advance. Airline tickets for pets are often more expensive than those for owners.