As you probably already know, the moving process is far from over when the moving truck leaves you in front of your new home. A lot more work awaits you when you arrive. You will have to unpack and set up your living space. This is something that you should do as soon as possible. So, do you have a clear vision in your head? Do you have an idea of how your new living space will look like? Even the best movers Hong Kong can’t help you with this. You will have to do it on your own. If you lack interesting ideas, you have come to the right place. Stay with us, as we will show you a few cool tips to help you rearrange your furniture after moving.
Things to do before you move
The process of rearranging your furniture at your new home begins before you move. There are couple of things that you should do at this point, especially if you are moving long-distance, like, for example, moving to UK from Hong Kong. In that case, any mistake could prove costly.
- Get a blueprint for your new place. This is necessary because it will give you valuable info about the measurements of each room, and how they are positioned.
- Measure everything twice. Your next step is to get the measuring tape and measure your furniture. Imagine paying for the transport of your couch just to realize that it can’t go through the doors of your new place.
- Use a room layout app. Next, when you have the measurements of your new apartment, and of your furniture you can start playing. Let your imagination run free, and try out different layouts. Have you played with bricks as a kid? Well, this is quite similar.
How to rearrange your furniture after moving to a small apartment?
Space is an expensive commodity, especially in large cities. Therefore, most people have to deal with smaller apartments. But that doesn’t have to be a problem if know how to get the most of your space. And rearranging your furniture is the first step.
- Get fewer but bigger pieces of furniture. This is one of the oldest tricks from the book when it comes to picking the furniture for small apartments. Next, pick a position for those big pieces of furniture and work smaller pieces around them.
- Use mirrors. One of the most effective ways to make smaller apartments look bigger is to use mirrors. They reflect light in such a way that they create an optical illusion of depth thus making rooms appear bigger.
- Pay attention to lighting. Instead of having just one big source of light, you should go for a mixture of overhead lighting and lamps. Also, try to get the most out of natural light if you have big windows.
Rearrange your furniture after moving by following these decoration rules
While setting up your home is a task that should fill you with joy and happiness, some people get overwhelmed in the process. This because it is not easy to arrange the room in a way that is both functional and looks nice. This is why top interior designers charge top dollar for their services. Anyway, take a look at these few tips that will help you to rearrange your furniture:
- Choose a central point. Each room should have a central point like a big window, a TV set, or a fireplace. Start with that point and build the room around it.
- Paint the walls in neutral colors. Color for the walls is more important than it might seem. Bright and aggressive colors can affect our mood greatly. Therefore, we advise you to use colors like seaweed green, neutral shades of blue or grey, beige, or ivory. Know that you can’t go wrong if you pick a plain old color white. This is also important because the color of the walls dictates the color of the furniture that you will use.
- Don’t mix styles too much. While experimenting with different styles gives the space your personal mark, it is very easy to get carried away. The result, in that case, is that your rooms will look like a circus.
Pay attention to functionality
Like we already pointed out, functionality is the most important thing when it comes to arranging your furniture. People shouldn’t be tripping over furniture to pass through the room. Here is how to achieve that:
- Create a clear path through the room. Don’t let furniture block windows or room entrances.
- Leave enough space between tables, chairs, and sofas.
- Determine how many people are going to use the room. This will help you to pick the right furniture
- Think about legroom
- If you don’t have enough room for every piece of furniture, consider renting a storage unit, or selling those pieces.
How to physically rearrange your furniture after moving?
Ok, now when you have figured out the exact position for each piece of furniture, it is time for some lifting. And this is what makes moving hard. It is a demanding physical activity that includes a lot of heavy lifting. There are several ways to solve this problem:
- Call professional movers and get a full-service move. This type of move means that your movers will pack your belongings, transport them to your new address, and then help you unpack and position your furniture.
- Ask your friends to help you. Don’t forget that you are not alone in this and that your friends will be glad to help you out. Order some pizza and drinks and have fun.
- Get a wheel dolly. Also known as a hand truck, this convenient invention will help you move heavy and bulky objects with ease. It will also prevent you from scratching your flooring.
So, there you have it. These are some of the ground rules that you can use when you decide to rearrange your furniture after moving. We wish you to enjoy your new home as soon as possible.