There is a moment when a couple decides that it is time to take their relationship one step further. In most cases, that means to start living together. Moving in as a couple is a big decision and therefore it should be approached with great caution. You are creating your future together, and many important questions will follow as a result of taking this step. Will you stay in the same country or move somewhere else? Are you going to buy the property or rent it? Who gets to choose the furniture and color of the walls? What about pets? But before you start thinking about transporting all your belongings. Start searching for a moving company HK before you do anything else. The best way to ensure that your relocation runs smoothly is to hire professional movers. For other tips and helpful information stay with us.
Determine your budget before moving in as a couple
The thing is that moving can be quite expensive. This is why it is important to determine your moving budget. The price of a local move starts at $ 2,300 while a long-distance move can cost well over $4,000. As for international moves, they can easily reach the $10,000 mark. Also, moving includes other not-so-obvious costs like travel arrangements, insurance policies, renovation costs, new furniture, and so on. Next, there is a big question of will you buy the property or rent it? While renting certainly gives you more flexibility, owning the property is always better in the long run. So, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of renting vs buying:
- Buying the property is a much bigger investment, but won’t have to pay the rent.
- When you own the place, you can modify it according to your desires without asking anyone. On the other hand, if something gets broken you are the one who will have to repair it.
- Owning the property comes with many additional costs like taxes, trash, water, and sewer services, and insurance policies.
- When you buy the property, you are investing in something of your own, and your future generations. Your own home is the best place to raise children.
How to choose the right neighborhood?
One of the things that you will decide as a couple is where will you live. Will it be one of your current apartments or something entirely new? If you are getting a new place you must think about your habits. Do you like to be closer to the city downtown where all the fun happens? In that case, renting an apartment is probably the best option. On the other hand, if you love peace and open space then you should take a look at homes in suburban areas. Homes with big yards are the best option if you are planning to have kids soon. Also, don’t forget about these factors when choosing a neighborhood:
- Crime rates and overall safety ratings
- Cost of living
- Real estate values
- Job opportunities
- Quality of public transport
- Green spaces
- Quality of public schools
Moving in as a couple calls for compromises!
Moving in as a couple is all about compromises. That is a prerequisite of every healthy relationship. One of the most obvious compromises is about your living space, especially if you are living in a smaller apartment. In other words, now is the perfect time to get rid of everything you are not using anymore. Also, don’t move duplicate items like two refrigerators, or two sets of tables and chairs. So how to do it the best way? Well, you basically have three options:
- Sell. The first thing you should try to do is to sell all those items that you don’t need anymore. You would be surprised what people are buying and how much money you can earn this way. You can do it online or organize a garage or yard sale.
- Donate. Got old clothes or furniture? Try donating, there are always people in need.
- Throw out. Your last resort. If the stuff is just trash, then don’t waste your time and throw it out.
Important tip: If you lack storing space in your home, you can always opt for short term storage Hong Kong until you decide what to do with those belongings.
Hire professional movers to make this transition easier
Do you have a deadline and must move in a hurry? Or you have other important tasks so you can’t concentrate on the move? No need to panic, you can always hire professional assistance. Listed below are some of the benefits of hiring quality moving partners:
- You will save a lot of time. Professional packers and movers can pack your entire household in a couple of hours. On the other hand, you would likely need several days to do the same thing. Now you can concentrate on other important aspects of the relocation process.
- Your belongings will be in safe hands. Professional packers are familiar with the best packing strategies and have the best packing tools at their disposal. You can rest assured that your belongings won’t break during transport.
Okay, but what if you want to do it yourself?
While you can’t drive the moving truck on your own (most of us can’t), you can pack your belongings without problems. You can even do the packing together and see how you function as a team. Create some fun memories along the way. So, what do you need to get this done?
- Cardboard boxes
- Packing paper
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
- Marker pens
You probably have most of these items at your home. For others, visit your local DIY store, or ask friends who recently moved if they have some leftover packing supplies.
Moving in as a couple is a big deal. This is an important stepping stone. However, it doesn’t have to be difficult if you are organized and work as a team. Also, you can always count on professional movers to help you out.