Moving is one of the biggest events in a lifetime. Some experts agree that moving can have far-reaching consequences on our life, just like other big life events like marriage and the arrival of children. Therefore, most people perceive relocation as a challenging activity. This is especially true if you are moving long-distance, like, for example, relocating to Hong Kong from US. Don’t forget that packing your entire household and moving it somewhere else is not an easy task. That can be an ambitious project even if you are moving just across the street, let alone if you are moving to another continent. Furthermore, moving can be quite expensive. But don’t worry, there are ways to save money when moving. In this article we will show you how to get moving discounts as well as some other ways to save money when moving. Stay tuned for more.
Start preparing for the move early to get moving discounts
If you wish to do something in the right way, your best bet is to start early. This applies to all spheres of life, and moving is no exception. Just imagine the scenario where your movers are arriving in a couple of minutes and you are still packing your stuff. This is a recipe for disaster. What we want to say is, just like you will start packing on time, you should start searching for professional movers on time. Not only will you have a better chance of finding reliable and experienced movers, but you might also get some discounts. You see, moving companies like to know their schedule in advance so that they can organize their business activities properly. So, if you contact your movers and book the move in advance, you are likely to get relocation services Hong Kong at discount prices.
Move during the offseason to get moving discounts
Another proven way of getting moving discounts is to move during the off-season. The moving season typically lasts during the summer months, or between May and August. More than 60% of all moves in the US happen during this period, also known as the peak of the moving season. Most people find this time of the year as a convenient period to relocate because the kids are free from school, and the weather conditions are favorable. Obviously, the prices are also higher during this period. In fact, moving costs increase by 20-30% during these months. So, if your goal is to save some money, you should aim to move during the off-season. You will be able to get the services of the best-rated moving agencies at reasonable prices. Furthermore, moving agencies don’t have a busy schedule during this period so you will be able to set the date and time that suits you most.
Other ways to get moving discounts
Listed above are the best two strategies for getting moving discounts. But there are other proven methods as well:
- Be flexible. If you don’t have a deadline and don’t have to move in a hurry, you can let your movers choose the dates for you. Your movers will appreciate this flexibility and will likely offer you some sort of a discount.
- Cash discounts. Ask your movers if they offer discounts for cash payments and you might be able to save a few dollars.
- Specific group discounts. Most moving companies offer reduced moving prices for population groups like seniors, students, military, and law enforcement members.
- Coupon discounts. We all turn to websites like Groupon for discounts for guitar and yoga classes or family packs of ice cream. But it turns out that some moving companies also offer discounts on e-commerce marketplaces.
Ways to save money when relocating
The cost for an average move starts at over $2,000, while interstate moves can go well over $4,000. As for international moves, they can easily exceed $10,000 for distant overseas moves. Therefore, getting a moving discount is always a good way to lower the moving costs a bit. But there are also some other smart solutions for your financial worries:
- Do the packing on your own. One of the ways to cut the moving costs is to pack everything on your own. Big and bulky objects like home appliances and large pieces of furniture might present a challenge, but you shouldn’t have any problems with packing your books and clothes.
- Evaluate the need for additional moving services. Every moving company offers various additional moving services like storage solutions, packing services, crating services, and assembly/disassembly services. The question is – which services do you really need?
- Declutter your home. The price of every move is calculated using two main factors: The distance of the move and the weight of the shipment. In other words, the less stuff you pack, the less you will pay for the move. Actually, now is the perfect time to get rid of everything you don’t need.
Budgeting for the upcoming move
- Revise your insurance deals. While we agree that moving insurance is a great thing, there is no need to pay for expensive insurance policies that you don’t really need. Therefore, take your time and determine which insurance policy suits you best.
- Get used packing materials. Do you have friends who recently moved? Maybe they still have some leftover boxes that you could use? You can also order used packing materials online and save some money.
- Don’t fall for suspiciously low prices. We know that your goal is to save some money, but that doesn’t mean that you should go and hire the cheapest moving company. Unusually low prices are often the sign of scamming moving companies. This means that moving contracts could potentially include hidden clauses and additional costs.
As you can see there are many ways to get moving discounts and save some money during relocation. In the end, we advise you plan your budget and follow our instructions. Good luck.