People are moving all the time in search of better living conditions, better jobs, or because of marriage or retirement. But even though moving is quite common in present times, people still don’t feel comfortable knowing that they have to prepare for the move. This is because moving is difficult to organize and because it presents a huge change. When people are exposed to stressful situations, they tend to lose their cool. And when we lack concentration, we become prone to making mistakes and forgetting stuff. This is why it is considered a good idea to call professional removal company Hong Kong to help you with your move. Anyhow, today we will take a look at mistakes to avoid when shipping your car to Hong Kong. So, stay with us and learn how to do it the best way.
Is shipping your car to Hong Kong a good idea in the first place?
Hong Kong is one of a kind melting pot where many different cultural influences collide to create a unique blend of nationalities, cultures, and cuisine. With over 7.5 million people living in an area of just over 420 square miles, Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated cities in the world. And that is not all, add to that number over 60 million tourists that visit Hong Kong each year and over half a million people that live outside of Hong Kong but come here for work every day. Therefore, certain laws have been passed that make owning and using a motor vehicle quite expensive.
On the other hand, getting around Hong Kong is not too difficult because the public transport system is quite cheap and very efficient. Furthermore, drinking and eating are forbidden in transport, so trains and buses are very clean. Another option is taxis. They are certainly more expensive than public transport, but they are still somewhat affordable in certain situations.
How to do it the best and easiest way?
Moving has many stages, and one of them is the packing process. There are some things you can pack and transport on your own, even if you are moving long-distance. Stuff like books, clothes, or kid’s toys is relatively easy to pack and transport. On the other hand, you need a lot of skill and knowledge to pack and transport bulky and heavy items like home appliances or expensive artwork. The same applies to your car. Yes, you can drive your car to your new destination, but what if you are moving overseas? If you are moving to Hong Kong, your best bet is to contact car shipping HK, and arrange the deal immediately. You just have to be sure that you have chosen the right shipping company.
Shipping your car to Hong Kong requires a reliable partner
Many moving companies operate on the market, but unfortunately, not all of them present a good choice. Since your main goal is that your car arrives safely at its destination, you should choose moving companies that meet the following criteria:
- The company must be fully licensed. A simple online research can show you a lot. For example, see if the moving company has all the necessary licenses and certificates to perform its activities.
- Do they offer a wide array of moving services? Packing services, storage solutions, and other additional moving-related services indicate that the company is experienced and capable of performing every moving task.
- Does the company work with third-party freight carriers? This is very important if you plan on shipping your car, so be sure to check this.
- Do they offer understandable, fully-transparent contracts? This guarantees that there won’t be any unpleasant surprises like hidden and additional costs.
Prepare your car for the trip
Before you take your car to be loaded into the moving container there are some basic preparations that you must perform:
- Clean your car. The main reason for this is that if your car has pests or debris that is illegal in the country of destination, the chances are that your car won’t pass the customs procedure. Likewise, if your car is dirty, this is the perfect opportunity to get it deep-washed.
- Replace any broken parts. Do you have a mechanic where you regularly service your car? If something is not right, you should address it before you move. You probably won’t have much free time when you arrive, at least in the first few weeks. Furthermore, you will have to find a quality mechanic since you are new to the city.
- Inspect the car for your stuff. Be sure that you have removed important documents from your car, stuff like your driver’s license, registration, car insurance, or any other personal documents.
- Don’t leave anything inside. We are aware that it might be tempting to pack some of your belongings inside of the car, but that’s illegal. In fact, you can’t leave anything in the car except original, factory accessories.
Documents you have to prepare when shipping your car to Hong Kong
As you might have guessed, shipping a car to another country requires certain paperwork, so let’s take a look at what you have to submit when moving your vehicle to Hong Kong:
- No duties. While you won’t have to pay import taxes, there are some regulations that your vehicle must comply with.
- Registration tax. You must apply for vehicle registration to the Transport Department. Hong Kong registration tax for private cars is 40% on cars worth below $150,000.00, and 115% on luxury vehicles.
- Documents that prove that your vehicle is fully compliant with the emission standards in the Air Pollution Control of Hong Kong.
- Bill of landing
- Insurance documents
- The vehicle’s V5C
- Copy of the bill of sale
- Original registration and title
As you can see, shipping your car to Hong Kong comes with a few obstacles, but if you inform yourself on time or get the services of an experienced moving company you won’t have any problems.